June 23, 2012

One of my favorite presents

This past Christmas my husband's family decided to do a Not So Secret Santa Exchange.  My sister got me.  I think I'm pretty darn easy to buy for (I'm sure the Hubster would disagree).  She asked me for an idea and I told her I would love an ice cream machine.  I almost bought one several months earlier but the Hubster scoffed at me, thinking I'd never use it.

I have no idea what made him think that.  First of all, I love ice cream.  Secondly, I use all of my kitchen gadgets fairly frequently!

Anyway.

I got this one.  I love it.

I just keep the freezer bowl in our freezer so it is ready to go whenever I decide we need ice cream.

So anyway.  Ice cream is pretty expensive these days, especially if you like the name brand stuff.  On top of that, the real reason I wanted the machine was because of Big One's peanut allergy.  It is just easier to have control of the ingredients myself.  Plus, I can use organic milk, which I love.

You know what is even more expensive than good ice cream?  Sorbet.  Which the Hubster prefers over ice cream, hands down.  He will be the first one to tell you that he is not a little bit upset that I have a new kitchen toy!

I thought I'd share some of the recipes I've tried so far.

Basic Vanilla.  This was very good.  I also decided the last couple of times I made it to cut the sugar a bit.  So I used 2/3c of sugar instead of 3/4c.  I have also added mini chocolate chips to this and it was extra yummy.

Lemon Sorbet.  This was a huge hit in our house.  It actually makes two batches in my machine, which works out nicely.  We went strawberry picking and I hulled some strawberries (2 cups maybe?) and put them in the food processor and then added them to the mixture (half of the mixture!).  So yum, Strawberry Lemon Sorbet.

I also made Strawberry Ice Cream.  Which was good.  I can't find the recipe right this second.  And we still have some in the freezer after 6 weeks.  So.  Yeah.

I just saw this recipe today for Strawberry Orange Sorbet.  I cannot wait to try it!

One of these days I will try a custard.  I just need to get over a really funny text conversation I had with my girlfriend while we were on vacation.

C: So I'm making my own ice cream and there are white chunks in it... sugar?  Should I be concerned?
Me: Maybe sugar but probably cream.  Taste it.  I'm sure it is fine!
C: In the cooking phase... no cream yet just eggs, sugar, milk, and cocoa...
Me: (clearly not realizing she was making a custard) Whisk it.  Hard.
C: Chunks of cooked eggs??? Ewwww
Me: (Light bulb finally turned on)  I've not done custard.  But maybe you cooked it too fast?  Ew egg chunks.  lol

I really should ask her how the custard turned out...

So who has a tried and true recipe for me??






1 comment:

  1. Custard ice cream is easy. You have to strain the mixture and then cool it in the fridge before adding it to the machine. (Eww chunks.)

    ReplyDelete