March 20, 2013

Granola Cereal

We go through a lot of cereal in our house.  The girls mostly eat Cheerios, which I am fine with.  I am not a sugar cereal person, so I'll eat boring, healthy stuff.  The Hubster is the wild card.  He'll eat Cheerios, or Honey Nut Cheerios, or Frosted Mini Wheats, or Bran Flakes, the list goes on.  

Goodness though, have you noticed how expensive cereal is these days?!  It wouldn't be terrible if it was just the girls and me eating it.  But the Hubster eats more than a normal serving size.  Probably a normal portion for a grown man.  It just means we go through a box of whatever it is very quickly.


Not to mention the crap in those boxes.  Lots of sugar.  And lots of who knows what else.


A while back I found a recipe in a magazine (and I can't find it for the life of me, so I have no idea which one) for Granola.  I gave it a shot and the Hubster raved about it.  It was pretty delicious.  Also, very easy to throw together.  The part that takes the longest period of time is just letting it cool so you can put it away.


I always double the recipe, because again, we go through it fast.
 


This is about 3 bowls short of the recipe being doubled.

Granola Cereal

Preheat oven to 300degrees

Mix:
3 c oats
1 1/2 c chopped pecans
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/3 c honey
1/4 tsp salt

Mix to coat.  Put on parchment lined (I use a silpat) cookie sheet for 30min.  Mix half way through.  You want it to be lightly golden.

Cool completely.  Store in airtight container.  Makes 4 1/2 cups.

Serving size 1/2 c.  272 calories.  16.6 g fat.  3.2 g saturatedfat.  5.8 g protein.  27.4 g carbs.  4 g fiber.

My oven runs a little bit hot, so it took about 25 minutes to cook.  One full recipe is enough to put on two cookie sheets.  

We are sort of plain janes around here, but you can add craisins, raisins, or whatever dried fruit you'd like to jazz it up a bit.  

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment