September 12, 2011

10 years

It is hard to believe that 10 years have passed since 9/11.  I'm sure like most adults you can remember that day vividly.  I feel like it was yesterday. 

I had just gotten out of the shower, went back into my dorm room, and turned on Regis and Kelly.  I was miffed initially that the news had once again interrupted my show.  And then I realized.  And watched.  Stunned

I went to my history class knowing there was no way the professor was going to carry on with her lecture.  No way.  Well, she did.  Unbelievable.  I can tell you two things about class that day: 1. She missed an enormous teaching opportunity and 2.  I don't remember a thing that came out of her mouth.

After class ended, I was glued to the news.

It still amazes me how such tragedy and chaos can create such unity.  I wish we, as Americans, could have held onto that unity forever. 

I didn't know anyone that was taken so tragically that day, but I have a fair share of military people in my life.  I have seen the sacrifice it takes to leave your life behind for months to fight to keep the freedoms we often times take for granted.  I have seen, and experienced, the sacrifice the family of military personnel.  Missed holidays.  Missed child births.  Missed family dinners.  Missed.  Just missed. 

I pray that even though it feels like the war is over, we aren't seeing it daily on the news, that you remember the daily sacrifice. 

I will never forget September 11, 2001. 

Or the days, weeks, months, and years that have followed.


No comments:

Post a Comment