November 11, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day!

I have many Veteran's in my life.  I am so grateful to each of them.

How selfless must you be to go where you are told, when you are told, for as long as you are told, with no questions allowed?  Can you imagine leaving your life behind for six months, a year, or even 18 months?  Missing holidays?  Missing the birth of your children?  Missing them grow up?

We live in a pretty selfish society.  We want, want, want.  We take, take, take.  We expect.

I know it takes an amazing person to put the needs of others in front of your own.  Not just the needs of your family.  The needs of your nation.

I come from a military family.  Both of my grandfathers served.  My Papa chose to correct his varicose veins on his own dime in order to join the military.  Apparently they wouldn't take him initially.  Amazing.  I have Uncles that have served.  My cousins are currently serving.  They have done multiple tours to the Middle East.  One of them is over there now.  My brother-in-law served.  My husband served for five years.  Countless friends.

I couldn't be more proud.  I am surrounded by giving, selfless, amazing people.

To each of you:  Thank you for giving so much of yourself.  Your sacrifice has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

My Veteran's Homecoming.


No comments:

Post a Comment