November 18, 2012

Fake

So I went to a local warehouse store today.  You know the buying in bulk kind of stores.

It was full of crazies doing their Thanksgiving prep shopping.  My timing was impeccable, let me tell you!  I try to avoid those types of stores on a normal, non-holiday weekend.  Bad, bad timing.  But we needed milk.  So.

While I was there I decided to go down the center aisle.  If you have been to these types of stores you know that is dangerous.  And if you have children with you, you have made a grave error.  For those of you that are not familiar, these aisles are full of seasonal item and toys galore.  But I was alone!  No husband.  No children!

I made it through the toys without a single impulse buy!  Be impressed!

But then.  The Christmas items.  Most importantly, the big fake trees.  Sigh.  I grew up with real trees for Christmas.  I love the experience and the memories of going out and picking our tree.  I vividly remember one year that we dug our tree up and then after the holidays we planted it in our front yard.

However, real trees are kind of a pain, right?  Am I alone here?  You have to make sure it always has water all the time.  If we end up traveling it ends up being dead when we get home.  Heh.  It is kind of expensive.  We end up spending a good $75 each year.  We also inevitably end up with a huge tree that the Hubster has to cut a few feet off of (and boy does he get mad!).  Heh.  And they are so messy!  The Hubster gets irritated every single year because the vacuum gets clogged with needles.  But the beautiful smell....

So I got a tree.  A fake tree.  It makes me sad.  And I might drag the Hubster and the girls out to the tree farm in December anyway.  We can pretend to pick out our tree.  I can take pretend pictures.  The Hubster can pretend to cut one down.  And then we can go home and decorate our pretend tree.

Note to self - pick up those "This smells like Christmas Tree" stick at Walmart.


No comments:

Post a Comment