November 7, 2012

Happy birthday, Dad!

Today is my dad's birthday.  I will be polite and not tell you how many years young he is today.

We didn't get to see him, as he lives so far away.  But the girls and I called him this morning and wished him a happy birthday.  Big One sang the birthday song.

We also got to quickly Skype with him tonight.  BO drew a picture of him and her together.  She had a flower in her hair.  She made sure to ask me what color his eyes were so she could get the picture just right.  I don't think she could have been more excited to show him.  Maggie was thrilled to see Papa and scream for him every time he exited the computer screen.  Heh.

So now to brag on my dad a bit.  He is one of the most hardworking people I know.  He has made sacrifices without prompting in order to make his family happy.  He traveled a lot when we were growing up, and I was always sad when he missed different events (most memorable was a piano recital of mine) but now that I am older, I get it.  I imagine it wasn't easy for him to miss either.  But he was working hard to provide for his family.  He has taken jobs that didn't really excite him just so he could contribute.

He also is great at staying in contact with so many people from his past and has gotten several of them new jobs or edited their cover letters or their resumes.  Which brings me to my next point...

My dad is generous.  He is incredibly generous with his time.  He will help out anyone who asks, even if it means his body will pay for it later, or he has something else he would really rather be doing.  Why?  Because it is the right thing to do.

He has also taught me that doing the right thing isn't always the easy thing.  Most of the time it is the opposite, it is the hard choice.  Going against the grain is often frowned upon... but if you are doing what is right then the goal at the end means the journey is worth it.

My dad has taught me the value of money.  That it is important to work hard to earn it, but also that you should not be spending more than you have.  I should have listened to that while I was in college and making poor choices and paying for them with a credit card I had no business having.

And when I was in over my head after graduation, my dad helped me see I could find my way out of the hole I created.  All. By.  Myself.  After all, that was how I got into debt too, right?  He helped me come up with a plan, a budget, and a schedule.  Nice to know I had someone (and lots of others) in my corner at a really scary time!

My dad is a pretty decent listener, but he is an awesome advice-giver.  I know that I can go to him when I need help sorting through things and need a solution.

Now please know that growing up our relationship was not all unicorns and rainbows, we argued.  a lot.  But when it came right down to it, we are family.  Have a differing opinion is fine.  Arguing is fine.  Telling each other how you feel is fine.  Work it out and move on.  If everyone was the same and thought the same, life would be pretty boring.

It will never cease to amaze me how important my parents are to me still.  How much I depend on them still. A lot.  I talk to them.  A lot.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy birthday, Dad!  And here's to many more!  Thanks for being the best dad I could ever ask for!

I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment