November 4, 2012

Family

I've been thinking about family a lot recently.

More specifically, how blessed I am.  My parents have a strong marriage.  Not to say that things were always easy, certainly they are not.  But they work through obstacles together.  They are always a model of the marriage that I want to have with the Hubster.  I have memories from childhood and adulthood where after dinner they would turn on some music in the living room and slow dance.  I used to think it was silly.  Now?  Now I think they have the right idea!  Take some time from the dirty dishes and reconnect with a slow dance.  The dishes will keep.

I shared a room with my big sister from the time I was six until I was fifteen.  I am certain that those were not all great times.  I'm sure my messes drove her insane.  I am also sure that it drove her crazy when I would go through her things.  There are only three years between us, but growing up it seemed like an eternity.  Now? She is one of my best friends.  I talk to her almost every day.  I see her at least once a month.  It isn't always easy, she has a busy schedule, and so do we, plus the almost two hours distance between us.  But she always makes the effort.  And having her so close keeps me a little less sad about being so far from my parents.

My little brother, who is much bigger than me, is six years younger than me.  We were not super close growing up.  Six years is a big difference.  Also, he was a boy.  So.  Not much in common.  But over the last several years I kind of just look at him in amazement.  He really has grown up.  We have adult conversations.  He gives me advice.  He is a good listener.  And he is making quite the life for himself.  I don't get to see him quite as often because of the distance, but he makes the effort to spend as much time with us as his schedule will allow.

I have lots of Aunts and Uncles and cousins too.  Lots of them.  And I grew up having them around a lot.  Holidays, birthdays, vacations.  Some of my favorite memories involve them.  Playing card games.  Baseball games.  Ice cream after dinner.  Days at the beach.  Sleeping on every inch of the floor in the living room because that is just where we wanted to be.  Talking until very late at night.  It sort of amazes me how close we all were, this was before the Internet.  Before cell phones.  Before long distance was free!  We just picked up where we left off.

Then I have the family that I chose.  My life with the Hubster.  Again, not always easy, but always worth it.  He chose me.  Pretty incredible, right?  What a cool feeling knowing that the person you have fallen head over heals for wants to spend the rest of his life with you!  And we have these amazing little girls together.  They are the best parts of me and the best parts of the Hubster.  We get to see them grow.  Give them opportunities.  Teach them right from wrong.  And hope that they have wonderful memories of their childhood, just like I do.

Having this life takes a lot of effort some days.  I'm not sure that I would necessarily give myself an A+ each night.  But I know that my girls love me.  They absolutely know that we love them.  My husband doesn't go a day without me telling him how much I love and appreciate him.

So, if you come by unannounced my house may not be show room ready.  But that is ok, we are busy making memories here.  The dishes will keep.


No comments:

Post a Comment